Friday, October 9, 2009

Frugal Friday: Money Saving Tips

This week's tip: don't be afraid to downsize.

This has been on my mind all week and I kept pushing it to the back thinking it wouldn't make a good post, people would probably just scan over it and not think anything of it, but I felt like it needed to be out there because it's something I struggled with. But seriously, especially those mom's (or soon to be mom's) who really want to stay at home but don't see a way to do it.

Don't. Be. Afraid.

It may mean a smaller place. We went down some square footage after we had our little girl and I don't really notice much of a difference. In the long run, I'm SO much happier in a smaller place but staying at home with my daughter that it just doesn't matter. We could live in an apartment this small our entire lives if it means that I can stay home (ok, we may need to upsize just a bit if I get the 5 kids I want...but you know what I mean).

It may mean a not filling your grocery cart-- do you really NEED that bag of chips or can you find a snack that's cheaper and works better to fill your family? I stopped buying the junk that filled our pantry. I was queen of snacks--always had something to munch on. But those snacks a lot of time just filled my cabinets and were only pulled out once or twice before being thrown away because they got stale. I now pick a snack a week, buy that and then we don't buy anymore until the one we have is gone.

It may mean, and usually does mean, downsizing on the amount of times you go out to dinner. Before seminary we went out at least once a week, even if it was just to a fast food joint. In the 4 months that we've been here, I can count on one hand how many times we've been out to eat. You know, the truth is, after about two weeks of not eating out--I didn't really notice it anymore. Now, when we do decide to go out (usually because we've got enough coupons that one of us eats free), it's a huge treat that I look forward to all week.

Downsizing really isn't all that scary when you know why you're downsizing.

Have a FF tip that you want to share? Link your blog post to your comment so we can all see!

1 comment:

  1. Great Tip.... We have upsized & we have downsized many times through out our 25 years of marriage and everytime I always think that if I had more space than I could save more money, but in the long run, I have discovered saving money is always about how and what your spend it on.

    Thanks.... for you words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete